Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."

Monday, August 22, 2016

Use What God Gives You

Do the best with what you have been given!

    I have to share a little story.  A long while back, I posted about ‘purposeful prayer’.  One thing I have had on my prayer list is to ‘do the best with what I have been given’.  I have a very bad habit of getting very downtrodden and weighted by a lack of funds.  With a family of 6, money is tight, very tight.  BUT, we have a good house, magnificent yard, clothes on our backs and food on our table, and cars that get us where we need to go.  No wiggle room, but God has always taken care of us.  Anyway, back to the point.  I have prayed to do the best with what we have been given, to make things work with the finances God has blessed us with rather than wishing for more.  God has shown me that ‘more’ is not the answer, it is finding better ways to work with what we have.


   I have been doing much better.  I have culled down impulse purchases; I have planned ahead for needs.  As the school year approached I knew we had some big expenses coming.  One thing that I needed to find money for (other than school lunches, student fees, school supplies, and clothes for 4 teenagers) was new shoes for myself.  I have resisted new boots because decent dress boots are expensive.  I wore the same 2 pair of shoes all last year as the rest fell apart – the 2 that I wore began to fall apart towards spring.  No more avoiding, I had to have shoes for school.  I was expecting a minimum $40, and those are the ones that fall apart in 4 months.  So I prayed again to do the best with what I have been given.  I set aside money to go boot shopping.  To best use what I have been given, I first headed to a thrift store that usually has decent stuff (even though I rarely have luck finding decent boots at thrift stores).  I walk in the door and I am face to face with a long rack covered with boots!  On both sides!  Any kind of boot you could have wanted, all in good shape, and under $15.  At that stop I bought not one, but 2 pair of good boots for $26!  A few days later, I found another pair for $3.  A week later a woman at church gives me a bag of shoes, 3 pair of dress shoes and 2 pair of short boots!  Now, for under $30 I have more ‘teacher shoes’ than I can wear in a week, more shoes than I have EVER owned at one time!  I know this may not seem like a big deal to some.  But I see the miracle.  God has his hand in even the small things of life.  God hears our prayer.  God teaches and guides us.  God answers prayers and rewards.  God always provides!  Power of prayer!

Now I have to decide which pairs to pass on, so others can also be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely testimony of God's provision. We all need to be reminded that we need to open our eyes to the many ways God provides - even boots at a thrift store - and that when he does, he usually goes all out - 5+ pair of boots under $40.

    ReplyDelete