Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Blessings



Work has been rough.  Very busy.  I’m exhausted at the end of every day.  Sometimes I feel that ‘to do list’ pile on my head and start pushing me down.  But I keep my eyes on the Lord and things have gotten way, way, way better.  I sat down to type a devotional last night and just drew a total blank.  My mind no longer functioned.  Well, it often doesn’t function at night – I usually do my writing early in the morning.  Anyhow, I sat down this morning and began.  I have been seeing negatives lately, and decided I needed to count my blessings.  It occurred to me that you all may need a reminder to count your blessings too…
God has given me a beautiful home.  It may not be beautiful to everyone’s standards, but it is to mine.  My kids are awesome.  Their ages range from 10 to 14 – 3 of my 4 kids are in the midst of ‘the change!” yet they are still awesome, respectful, caring, and helpful.  That is a fabulous blessing!  Money is tight, very tight, but we have what we need.  That is an amazing blessing.  But, my biggest blessing these last few weeks, as the school year has thrown us all into a mindless frenzy, has been my husband.  I realized this morning all that he has done – and even though I noticed and appreciate the things he has done- I have not expressed it well.  There have been many aggravations as our nerves have been tight, but so many more blessings.  Kevin, my husband, has made supper every night.  He has made good, real food, like lasagna and pork chops!  He has done laundry; he has even kept his stuff of the kitchen table!  (that is major!!!)  He helped the kids with their science projects; he supervised homework; he has made my life easier.  And yet I have not recognized the blessing he has been…
Thank you Lord for your blessings!  Thank you Lord for pointing them out when we ask you to!
Remember to ask Him, ask the Lord; remember to reflect on your blessings!  Remember to see the good and keep your eyes focused on God!  An unrecognized blessing is… I don’t know… terrible, awful, hurtful, stupid… just plain stupid.  Thank God every day!  He has given us trees, air, beauty, horizons, rain, breezes, sunshine, sunrises, family, homes, spouses, and so much more.  He has given us life… he has given us Christ!  THANK HIM!
This song from church in my childhood just popped into my head – we sing a different version in my church now – but this says it all!

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heav’nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

Praise God the Father who’s the source;
Praise God the Son who is the course;
Praise God the Spirit who’s the flow;
Praise God, our portion here below!

We all enjoy acknowledgement or recognition for the things we do for others.  It is great to do something nice for someone anonymously, but we like to have our hard work appreciated by someone.  God has given us more than anyone.  Don’t forget to thank him.  And don’t forget to thank the people in your life for all that they do for you; for they themselves ARE blessings – or gifts - from God.
Luke 1:47  How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!
Romans 5:11  So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.
Romans 5:3-5  We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.  And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.  And this hope will not lead to disappointment.  For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment