Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Don't Hide Under the Covers



Ellie’s eyes popped open.  What was that?  Her heart started thumping rapidly in her chest.  She pulled her covers over her head slowly, gently, with great care, so that whatever had made the noise would not see her.  Once safe under the light summer quilt, she reached around until her hand sunk into a soft squishy object.  There he was.  She pulled her special Teddy close to her chest under the covers and strained her ears for another sound.  Bump, thump, screech.  It found her!  There covers flew as Ellie lost all secrecy and tore from her little bed, Teddy trailing right along, dangling by his right back paw as Ellie’s feet flew down the hallway to her parents room.
“Daddy, Daddy” she called as she skidded to a stop on the braided rug that lay next to her parent’s bed.  “Daddy, help me, something’s trying to come in my window!”  The Daddy in question pried his eyes open a crack.
“It’s just the tree Ellie.”  As sleep left him, and Ellie’s fear did not, he pulled her close and explained further.  “Remember, the big oak tree behind the house, when the wind blows hard enough the branches hit your window.”
“The tree Daddy?”
“Yes, just the tree, nothing to be afraid of.”
Ellie nestled into her father’s embrace, her heart returning to its normal rhythm.
“I’m glad you came to find me sweetie; you can always come to me when you are afraid, and for any other reason.”
“Thank you Daddy.” Ellie murmured as she drifted back into peace in her father’s trustworthy arms…


Who do you relate to in that little story?  Little Ellie, or the parent?  I have many memories like that.  I had a lot of nightmares as a child, enough that I was often afraid to go to sleep at night and would keep myself awake as long as I possibly could.  I remember running to my parents room many times.  Sometimes I wouldn’t even wake them up, I would just sit on the floor by their bed, feeling safe in their presence.

I also relate to the parents.  With four kids I have experienced the nighttime and tuck in time fears frequently, and have had to be the fear chaser.  I do my best to empower my kids.  I tell them to pray, take their fear to God, and repeat scripture verses.

Look over Ellie’s story again.  Change Ellie to you, and her father to God, and her fears to your fears.  That’s how it works!  We have a fear, we run to God in prayer, share it with him, crawl him into his arms, and accept his peace.

At least, that’s the way God intends it to work.  And you know what, he WILL NEVER say, “oh just go back to bed!”.  He is always there for us!  Sometimes we tend to get in the way of the process.  Sometimes we stay huddled under the covers trying to deal with the fear ourselves.  We may think God doesn’t care about the little things and would just tell us to “Just go back to bed!” (as we are prone to do).  We may thing that God isn’t listening, or ‘my problems are not important enough’…  Well, pick up you ‘Shield of Faith’ (Ephesians 6:16) and turn away those fiery arrows of Satan!  Pray!  Give the fear to God!  And have peace!

1 Timothy 1:7   For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self – discipline.

Isaiah 41:10 Don't be afraid, for I am with you.  Don't be discouraged, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you.  I will hold you up in my victorious right hand.

Isaiah 41:13
For I hold you by your right hand
– I, the Lord your God.
  And I say to you,
 “Don’t be afraid.
I am here to help you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment