Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Serving



Has God ever given you a job you did not feel qualified for?  Something you dread?  Do it, he will appreciate it, you will be happier and content and at peace by following God’s will rather than your own. 

I am not a singer.  I have grown up knowing I did not sing well.  From music teacher eye rolls to crying children, I have had my lack of musical ability confirmed.  The only time I sing out is in church. 

A few years back when one of our worship leaders moved away.   Our pastor’s wife asked if I would help her lead the worship music.  I laughed.  I told her we would lose members if I were given a microphone.  She continued to ask occasionally and lead the music on her own.  Then God began to work on my heart.  I felt guilty.  I felt torn and unhappy.  I would never want to stand up there on my own as she does every Sunday… Finally, I agreed.

I was so nervous; I continually ran a mantra in my head.  “I am singing for you Lord, just for you, not for these people, just for you.”  At this point, I have lost track of how many years I have been singing.   We have a small congregation and I claim that I am singing by default.

As people have joined our little church, I have often thought I should try to pass on this responsibility.  I would be a much better Sunday school teacher if I did not have to go over music before church; I could be more focused on that one task…

Well, today I can’t breathe.  I have asthma and seem to be getting very sick.  Singing is out of the question.   I barely have enough air to talk, let alone sing.  As I sit in church listening to the music, watching the pastor’s wife again on her own, hearing the worship flow around me, I realize that singing is my service.  Sometimes it takes these little setbacks for us to see God’s will clearly.  God has given me this job to do in our church body.  My voice, whatever form it comes in, was given to me to serve God.  God will take what we have to give.  God desires our service, he desires our voices, our hands, our hearts, ourselves.  We are happier when we give ourselves over to God.  I am happier when I am singing for the Lord!  It doesn’t feel right to not be singing when the air around me is filled with praise.

Lord, I will stop trying to pass off this service.  I will encourage others to join us (Melissa), but I will no longer deny that you want me to sing.  I will sing, and praise your holy name!

Romans 5:3-5  We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.  And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.  And this hope will not lead to disappointment.  For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

Proverbs 20:24  The Lord directs our steps, to why try to understand everything along the way?

Psalm 37:5 Commit everything you do to the Lord.  Trust him and he will help you.
Romans 12: 6,7 In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you.  If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well.

What is God asking you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment